Wilson D’souza is an established contemporary Goan painter in the field for the last 34 years. Besides painting, Wilson paints, illustrates designs, sculpts and is a prolific photographer and writer. He founded the Pyde Pyper Art Academy in 2010 and is currently the Director and Educator of the institute. With nearly 30 years of experience in Art Education, he has guided numerous students to think originally while exploring their creativity in the field of Fine Arts (Painting & Sculpture), Design (Graphic Design, Product Design, Automobile Design, Fashion Design, Character Design), Illustration, Concept Design, Architecture, Interior Design, Photography & Creative Writing. The Art Academy is renowned for creating professional artists of numerous students (especially from non artistic backgrounds like doctors, engineers) who have gone on to exhibit as well as open galleries of their own. Wilson has also guided professional artists in enhancing their careers. Students from varied fields have gone on to pursue art as a career not only in the best Art institute’s in India but also Abroad as well.
The Pyde Pyper Art Academy has held three student exhibitions curated by Wilson D’souza.
• A Pyde Pyper Art Academy exhibition of Drawings, Paintings and Photographs at the Kala Academy Art Gallery, 2011
• “What’s the Matter”, An exhibition of Drawings, Paintings, Sculpture by 20 Best artists of The Pyde Pyper Art Academy, 2012
• “Out of the Blue”, A Pyde Pyper Art Academy Exhibition, Works by the students of the academy(May 18-20, 2018) at Kala Academy, Panjim,Goa
Wilson D’souza himself has had numerous exhibitions including solo shows as well. He has participated in numerous art exhibitions from 1985 onwards, which include:
• 1985-89 – Synchronicity Group Exhibitions, Goa.
• 1986-05 – Kala Academys State Art Exhibitions, Goa.
• 1987 & 90 – I.N.T.A.C.H. Contemporary Art Exhibitions
• “Backyard Ritual” National Art Exhibition- The Goan Art Forum in 1992.
• 1993 – “The Goan Art Forum” – Kerala KalaPeetam,
Cochin, Kerala. (On Invitation)
- All India Art Exhibition, Individual Cultural Centre,
Jammu. (On Invitation)
• “The Goan Art Forum”,The Cymroza Art Gallery, Bombay in 1995. (On Invitation)
• The Goan Art Forum & Alliance Francaise Art Gallery 1996
• “Fado” – Exhibition of Artists from Goa, Jamaat, Mumbai in 1999.
• “A Sorrowful Mystery” – Arts Trust – National Gallery of Modern Art, Colaba – Mumbai in 2000.
• 2001 – Duo Art Show- “Body Mirror Body” Kala Academy, Goa.
Group Art Show – Zen Art Gallery – Bangalore.
Millennium Art Exhibition- LKA/KA – Panjim, Goa.
Millennium Art Exhibition- LKA/KA – Bangalore.
Group Art Show – Regency Hotel- Mumbai.
Group Art Show- Loja Cidade- Cidade de Goa.
• “Masked Dialogue”, Solo Show of Sculptures and Drawings, Art Gallery, Cidade de Goa, in 2003-2004
• “APRANTA” Group Art Show – Curated by Ranjit Hoskote in 2007.
• Goan Group Art Exhibition- New Delhi’ Portuguese Consulate (2007)
• “The Miniature Format Show” SansTache Art Gallery, Mumbai in 2008.
• “Bhasha”- Group Exhibition of Goan Artists, Gallery NVYA, New Delhi – Curated by Dr. Alka Pandey in 2008.
• 2009-10 - “Direct & Discreet – Duo Art Show , Drawings, Paintings & Sculptures, Gallery Attic, Panjim- Goa.
• 2011 - Vice Versa II – A National Art Exhibition of Drawings & Paintings
• “Who Moved My Earth” A Solo Art Exhibition of Abstract Drawings And Paintings at Kala Academy, Goa, 2011
• “Myriad Expressions”, exhibition of works by Goan Artists (February-March, 2016) curated by Naguesh Rao Sardessai at Ujwal Art Gallery, Goa.
• “Chitrasangam 2016”, exhibition of paintings and sculptures by National artists (November, 2016) at Ujwal Art Gallery, Goa
• “Chitrasangam 2018”, exhibition of paintings and sculptures by National artists (December, 2018) at Ujwal Art Gallery, Goa
International Art Exhibitions
• 1994 –4th International Art Triennial,
• 1991- 7th triennial, Lalit Kala Academys
International Painters Camp, Goa.
• 2006 - “Palette on the Hills” , Painters Camp,
• 2008 - 5th International Artists Camp,
KalaKriti Art Foundation, Hyderabad – Andhra
• 2011 - Vice Versa II – A National Artists Camp
• Wilson Dsouza and Deanne Fernandes (2015) “Is Life Treating You Well Citizen 621311?” – An Illustrated poem diary that comprises of 91 poems and corresponding illustrations and paintings
• Wilson Dsouza and Deanne Fernandes (2016) “Is Life Treating You Well Citizen 621311?” Part 2 – An illustrated poem diary that traces the artificiality of smiles and laughter through face phases
• Wilson Dsouza and Deanne Fernandes (2017) “Abstract Tales of Awe and Woe” –A poem diary with corresponding abstract works
Wilson D'souza has recently opened his own Art Studio called Studio BanyanTree. Exhibited in this studio are over 10000 works of Wilson D'souza in all genres and mediums.