On location Sketch of Cubbon Park. Pen & Ink on Paper. Cubbon Park is a landmark 'lung' area of the Bangalore city, located within the heart of city in the Central Administrative Area. Originally created in 1870, when Major General Richard Sankey was the then British Chief Engineer of Mysore state, it covered an area of 100 acres (0.40 km2) and subsequent expansion has taken place and the area reported now is about 300 acres (1.2 km2). This public park was first named as “Meade’s Park” after Sir John Meade, the acting Commissioner of Mysore in 1870 and subsequently renamed as Cubbon Park after the longest serving commissioner of the time, Sir Mark Cubbon. The landscaping in the park creatively integrates Natural Rock outcrops with thickets of trees. Tourists visiting this Park in the city of Bangalore have nicknamed the city itself as 'Garden City'.